Your list contains a lot of information about your contacts, like when they were added to your list, where they live, and how they interact with your campaigns. You can use this information to filter contacts into segments, and then target them with campaigns.
Segments are used to create targeted audiences based on shared data. When you create a segment, you’ll set conditions to filter contacts based on the information that’s available in your list. Each segment can include up to five conditions.
Segmenting in the List view
Follow these steps to add a segment(s) to your List:
1. Navigate to the Lists page.
2. Click the arrow to the right of the list you'd like to segment and click Segments.
3. Click the Create segment button.
4. Enter a name for your segment and choose how you'd like to combine the segments.
All means only contacts who meet the combination of conditions you choose will be included. This equates to using "and."
Any means contacts who meet any one of the conditions you choose will be included. This equates to using "or."
5. Click the Add condition button.
6. Set drop down menus to the field and operation you'd like to use. Then enter the criterion for the condition in the box.
The first drop down lists all the available fields for your list.
The second drop down lists all the available operations. These include:
- not equal
- not contains
- starts with
- ends with
- not starts with
- not ends with
- greater than
- less than
- not blank
For example, say you have a field in your list called Married, with a yes or no to identify your clients marital status. If you want to create a segment of all married contacts, select the Married from the first drop down, select equal from the second drop down, and enter yes in the box.
7. To include more conditions, click the Add condition button.
8. When you have your desired segment ready, click Save.